Monday, August 9, 2010

Why standing in spite of myself?

Well, because I am! Ha!
 No, really  at 42 I am "still standing" because despite having been born with Cerebral Palsy I have still   managed to do just about everything I ever wanted to do and more!  Growing up I was surrounded by doubt.  In 1968 when I was brought into this world I was a month early and only 4 pounds.  The doctors told my young parents I had a 50/50 chance of survival!  Three years later when I still could not sit up my mother was informed over the phone that I had Cerebral Palsy and: "What are you going to do about it?"
My poor parents heard the worst from doctors: "He'll be a vegetable, He'll never walk, He'll never be able to function in school or society...."  Nice picture huh?  Despite this plethora of pessimism I prospered!  It was never easy.  I had surgeries, I had braces, crutches, and crash helments!  By the grace of God and a few good doctors-(including my Grandfather: Dr. Arnold R. Tolley D.C.) I did walk! and by the age of eight I did it without crutches or braces, or a crash helmet!  By third grade I was one of the first disabled children to attend a regular Montgomery County  Public School Program.  From then on I experienced pretty much everything your average grade school kid does.  I struggled horriblly with Math. My grades were not the best, I suffered set backs and disapointments: spurnned crushes and pre teen embarrassments...but! I survived! and somehow, I managed to do it with a smile on my face!
I 've had my share of struggles and low points but, life is not a race.  I may have moved slowly at times,but every move was a move forward!
What helped me most I think were the people and friends around me.  My mother never said: "You can't"  My friends just smiled and said: "C'mon!"  Despite those grim early predictions, I graduated from Montgomery College and also Towson State University.  
At an early age weightlifting and bodybuilding did a lot for me.  It gave me focus and with each success came confidence no one can give you.  No one could have guessed that I would go on to rank nationally at the N.P.C. National Wheelchair Bodybuilding Championships in 1997 as the Lt. Heavyweight Champion.  Later, in 1998  I recieved a gold medal at the Paraolympic Powerlifting Team trials in Chicago.
  Shortly after that I married my wife Bonnie who despite being wheelchair bound by M.S. is a successful saxophonist and music teacher with her own business: Bonnieslatersmusic.com.  With Bonnie I have a home in Germantown MD.  We have two daughters, two dogs, two cats, and a fishtank full of fish!
I work for MCPS as a paraeducator in special education. I've done this for the last 12 years.  I feel like I'm giving something back!  I'm not really lifting anymore, but I did my thing and proved that I could do it well.  What do I want to do now?  Now I want to write! So thats my new personal goal...write something and publish it for real!
So, Hows that for someone who "they" said might not make it?  Not too bad

7 comments:

  1. Hi Arnie,

    You are my inspiration. You are enjoying and teaching and living a life so admirable. And I can see that it has all been accomplished through your
    will to succeed and faith in yourself and mankind.
    Love your blogsite and I can see that I will discover some new authors and books. I have only read the first three Jo Nesbo books. Cannot wait to get the next one. I heard COCKROACHES will be out next year! I'll be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anna!

    Ihave heard about Nesbo's story the leopard- I think it is being made into a movie in Europe. I had thought that we would see that one before Cockroaches. Either way, I cannot wait!
    Arnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arnie,
    I'm checking you out again and so happy I did. I will add Ann Holt to my list. I have not read her books yet. Hope you have a wonderful day with your lovely family.
    It just amazing what people can do when they set their mind to it. My daughter had to wear a body brace for almost two years, 16 hours a day, when she was 15 and 16. It was so horrible that that the she would sleep in it rather than wear it to school. I am getting ready to go into a leg brace for a while. I think I can manage it, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna,

    Thankfully I have avoided braces since childhood. Why was your daughter in a brace? I also had to sleep in my braces for a while. It was not fun--My mother eventualy cut the toes off of the heavy leather shoes...sort of turning the shoes into sandles! It allowed my feet to breathe! Whatever the reason you have to endure a brace--I hope is not for too long! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Arnie,

    My daughter has moderate scoliosis, less than half her sacrum, and also ended up with heart arrhythmias that come and go with stress, and other assorted problems. Her curvature was severe as a baby and toddler and as she grew she straightened out a bit. The body brace was to keep her spine from curving even more.
    She is okay now. If her spine curves more that 2 more degrees she will need surgery.
    It has not stopped her in he life. She is 19 now. She runs, goes to college, works at Dunkin Donuts, Volunteers at the soup kichen and is right now voluntering at the ambulance.
    Kids seem to tolerate anything. It is your mother and myself that had it tough emotionally.

    Great blog!!! Your children are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna,

    It sounds to me like you are equally as tough as your daughter seems to be! I'm impressed! Volunteering on the ambulance is no easy task. Is she an EMT? My older brother Mike is a career firefighter. He is a captain now. He was an EMT and Paramedic first. He loves it! I don't think I would last five minutes in that hectic enviroment. Some folks--like my brother thrive on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Arnie,

    I really enjoyed Per Petterson's I CURSE THE RIVER OF TIME. It is not a "happy" book. It made me think and ponder life. There is a chance you might just live your life and not have any defining moments. I know I have felt all the joys and hardships. Anyone with a "handicapoped" child will know that. My daughter is proof that mountains can be climbed.

    Thank you for the compliment of me being tough. It made my day.
    EMT's, paramedics, firefighters, and volunteers are all heroes to me. I have seen them all in action, with their controlled panic states and I am so grateful and impressed. Hospital workers adore EMT's and paramedics. They are the one who save the people at the "scenes".
    And my daughter will be taking the EMT course this fall, and hopefully this will lead her to nursing school. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete