Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why I am a Kiss fan

When I was a kid; and lets say "kid" means anywhere from the age of 10 to 18.  The band KISS was still at their height of popularity.  My first experience with kiss was seeing the promotional posters for the album "Hotter than Hell" hanging in the local record store.  Remember: this was well before the age of CD's.  You had to buy a record and play it on a stereo or recordplayer of some sort.  Cassette tapes were not out quite yet...and 8 track tapes would come and go before CD's came to light.
    










Like I said: I had seen pictures of KISS's promotional photos for "Hotter than Hell" Hanging from the ceiling of the local Record store like some colorful Halloween mobile. There was this vampire guy with his tongue hanging out towering over this spaced out alien type guy. They were flanked by two other "guys", one bare chested with a star on his face and the other decked out like a cat! I couldn't stop staring at it...What is that? I thought; But, it did its job; it stuck in my head. That was 1974. A few years later the song "BETH" made it on the radio and it was everywhere! The album "Destroyer", hurled KISS into ROCK Supernatural stratosphere status. I distinctly remember turning the channel on T.V. after- (don't laugh) The Donnie and Marie show had ended. I stopped flipping channels when I came upon The Paul Lyned Halloween special! Remember: I'm a kid. I was 9. Paul Lyned was just asking these four giant armor clad monsters in his uniquely weasel type voice: "Who....or should I say what are you fellas? heh, heh, heh."  The "Star guy", Paul Stanley says in a exaggerated low voice: "We're KISS!"



Again- that image stuck with me for a very long time!  These guys were like real live, larger than life super heros!  It was music and art and magic all rolled into one awesome package!  Rock and roll Super heros!  I was hooked!  I listened to the music, I drew their faces--on everything and everywhere!  I joined the KISS ARMY at 12!





As a kid with a disability, although I had friends- I still felt a little out of step-(no pun intended!) Close, but always just outside of normal.  Kiss gave me a sense of belonging to something big that transcended all barriers...That feeling has never left me!  I guess that's why at 42 I am still a fan!  Because: if you think about it...who doesn't want to Rock and Roll all Nite and Party Every Day!?



I took my wife and children to KISS  8-21-10





WE HAD A BLAST!!! and GREAT Seats! I will post more pictures later!
My daughter Eva took this shot!

Me and my Kids After the show! Now my wife and kids REALLY know why Dad is Nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment